Salamanca is an ancient Celtic city in northwestern Spain that is the capital of the Province of Salamanca in the community of Castile and León. The city lies on several hills by the Tormes River. Its Old City was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988. With a metropolitan population of 228,881 in 2012 according to the National Institute of Statistics (INE), Salamanca is the second most populated urban area in Castile and León.
It is one of the most important university cities in Spain and supplies 16% of Spain's market for the teaching of the Spanish language, partially due to the usage of a neutral Castilian Spanish variant which is greatly appreciated. Salamanca attracts thousands of international students, generating a diverse environment.
It is situated approximately 200
kilometres (120 miles) west of the Spanish capital Madrid and 80 km (50 mi)
east of the Portuguese border. The University of Salamanca, which was founded
in 1218, is the oldest university in Spain and the fourth oldest western university,
but the first to be given its status by the Pope Alexander IV who gave universal
validity to its degrees. With its 30,000 students, the university is, together
with tourism, a primary source of income in Salamanca.
The city was founded in the pre-Ancient Rome period by the Vaccaei, a Celtic tribe, or the Vettones, a Celtic or pre-Celtic indo-European tribe, as one of a pair of forts to defend their territory near the Duero river. In the 3rd century BC, Hannibal laid siege to the city. With the fall of the Carthaginians to the Romans, the city of Helmantica, as it was known, began to take more importance as a commercial hub in the Roman Hispania due to its favorable location. Salamanca lay on a Roman road, known as the Vía de la Plata, which connected it with Emerita Augusta (present day Mérida) to the south and Asturica Augusta (present-day Astorga) to the north. Its Roman bridge dates from the 1st century, and was a part of this road.
With the fall of the Roman Empire, the Alans established in Lusitania, and Salamanca was part of this region. Later the city was conquered by the Visigoths and included in their territory. The city was already an episcopal see, and signatures of bishops of Salamanca are found in the Councils of Toledo.
Salamanca surrendered to the Moors, led by Musa bin Nusair, in the year 712 AD. For years, this area between the south of Duero River and the north of Tormes River, became the main battlefield between the Christian kingdoms and the Muslim Al-Andalus rulers. The constant fighting of the Kingdom of León first, and the Kingdom of Castile and León later against the Caliphate depopulated Salamanca and reduced it to an unimportant settlement. After the battle of Simancas (939) the Christians resettled this area. After the capture of Toledo by Alfonso VI of León and Castile in 1085, the definitive resettlement of the city took place. Raymond of Burgundy, instructed by his father-in-law Alfonso VI of León, led a group of settlers of various origins in 1102
.One of the most important moments
in Salamanca's history was the year 1218, when Alfonso IX of León granted
a royal charter to the University of Salamanca, although formal teaching
had existed at least since 1130. Soon it became one of the most significant
and prestigious academic centres in Europe.
During the 16th century, the city
reached its height of splendour (around 6,500 students and a total population
of 24,000). During that period, the University of Salamanca hosted the most
important intellectuals of the time; these groups of mostly-Dominican scholars
were designated the School of Salamanca. The juridical doctrine of the School
of Salamanca represented the end of medieval concepts of law, and founded
the fundamental body of the ulterior European law and morality concepts, including
rights as a corporeal being (right to life), economic rights (right to own
property) and spiritual rights (rights to freedom of thought and rights related
to intrinsic human dignity).
In 1551, the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V ordered an inquiry to find out if the science of Andreas Vesalius, physician and anatomist, was in line with Catholic doctrine. Vesalius came to Salamanca that same year to appear before the board and was acquitted.
Salamanca suffered the general downturns of the Kingdom of Castile during the 17th century, but in the 18th century it experienced a rebirth. In this period, the new baroque Cathedral and main square (Plaza Mayor) were finished.
In the Peninsular War of the Napoleonic
campaigns, the Battle of Salamanca, fought on 22 July 1812, was a serious
setback for the French, and a mighty setback for Salamanca, whose western
quarter was seriously damaged. The battle which raged that day is famous as
a defining moment in military history; many thousands of men were slaughtered
by cannon fire in the space of only a few short hours.
During the devastating Spanish Civil War (1936-39) the city quickly went over to the Nationalist side and was used as the de facto capital. Franco was named Generalissimo on 21 September 1937 while at the city, and in the same year was formed, by a decree signed in the city, the official fascist party that ruled Spain until the end of the Francoist regime, officially suppressing any other political party. The Nationalists soon moved most of the administrative departments to Burgos, which being more central was better suited for this purpose. However, some administrative departments, Franco's headquarters (located at the Palacio Episcopal, next to the Old Cathedral) and the military commands stayed in Salamanca, along with the German and Italian fascist delegations, making it the de facto Nationalist capital and centre of power during the entire civil war. Like much of fervently Catholic and largely rural Leon and Old Castile regions, Salamanca was a staunch supporter of the Nationalist side and Francisco Franco's regime for its long duration.
In 1988, the old city was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 1998, it was declared a European Capital of Culture for year 2002 (shared with Bruges). During 14 and 15 October 2005, it hosted the XV the Ibero-American Summits of Heads of State and Governments.
Since 1996, Salamanca has been
the designated site of the archives of the Spanish Civil War (Archivo General
de la Guerra Civil Española). The original documents were assembled
by the Francoist regime, selectively obtained from the administrative departments
of various institutions and organizations during the Spanish Civil War as
a repressive instrument used against opposition groups and individuals. The
socialist government moved the Catalan part of the archive to Barcelona in
2006 despite opposition from the local authorities and popular protests.
Squares and public spaces
The city hall of Salamanca near the terrace of the Café Novelty founded in 1905.
" La Plaza Mayor: of Baroque style, designed by architects Alberto and Nicolás Churriguera is the most important of public spaces and the heart of the city.
" Campo de San Francisco (Salamanca): First public garden in the city on grounds of the former convent of San Francisco Real.
" Huerto de Calisto y Melibea (Salamanca): Garden near the cathedrals where, some say, lies the plot of the novel La Celestina by Fernando de Rojas. Beside it are remains of the Roman Walls.
" Plaza del Corrillo (Salamanca): Small square adjacent to the Plaza Mayor. On the left is the Romanesque church of San Martín and the right a series of houses with porches formed by columns of stone completed in pads representing the days of the week (a moon for the Monday, a Mars for Tuesday, etc.).
Convento de San Esteban (16th century)
" Capilla de la Vera Cruz: Baroque church with Renaissance façade, headquarters of the five-hundred-year-old Brotherhood of the Vera Cruz of Salamanca. It houses countless works of art.
" Cathedrals: Salamanca has two cathedrals, the Old Cathedral, of the 12th century and of Romanesque style, and the New Cathedral, much larger, built in the 16th century of Gothic style and completed in the 18th century. The place where they both join is known as Patio Chico and is one of the most charming corners of the city.
" La Clerecía: currently houses the Pontifical University. Building started in 1617 and was completed 150 years later as the Colegio Real del Espíritu Santo, of the Society of Jesus. The style is Baroque. It difference the school, with an interesting cloister and the church, with an impressive façade of three bodies, two twin towers of 50 meters high and a huge dome. The Clerecía name is because it belonged to the Real Clerecía de San Marcos after the expulsion of the Jesuits.
" Colegio de Calatrava: Built in the 18th century, by the initiative of the Order of Calatrava, now houses the Casa de la Iglesia.
" Convento de las Agustinas e Iglesia de la Purísima: In the church is a painting of the Immaculate Conception painted by Jusepe de Ribera. It is the only construction of totally Italian space and decor in Spain.
" Convento de las Dueñas (15th century): Highlights the irregular Renaissance cloister.
" Convento de las Isabeles (Salamanca)
" Convento de San Antonio el Real (1736): of Baroque style, its remains were divided between the Lyceum Theatre and a store where it can visit.
" Convento de San Esteban, of the Dominican friars (16th century): the plateresque façade, with its shape of an arc of triumph, is a jewel of the Salamancan Renaissance. Impressive Baroque altarpiece by José Benito Churriguera. Also noteworthy is the Cloister of the Kings, Renaissance.
" Convento de la Anunciación (Calle de las Úrsulas): Founded by the Archbishop Alonso II de Fonseca in 1512. Stresses the exterior apse of Gothic style. In the inside, the Baroque altarpiece and the tomb of the founder, Renaissance, work by Beto.
" Convento de la Trinidad: Former Palacio de Montellano adapted in the 16th century to host a Trinitarian friary.
" Monasterio de Nuestra Señora de la Victoria, of the monks of the Order of St. Jerome, completed in 1513, almost destroyed by the French in the early 19th century, the Peninsular War, is now integrated into the manufacturing facilities of the 19th century, of the Grupo Mirat.
" Ermita de Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia (16th-17th centuries): small Baroque chapel which was begun in 1389 in the Plaza de San Cristobal. Currently very damaged, is a printing, while its bell-gable decorates the church of the Pizarrales neighborhood.
" Antigua Iglesia de las Bernardas work by Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón. Prototype of the Salamancan churches of the 16th century. Stresses the shell-shaped head. Today it is within the Colegio de San José de Calasanz.
" Iglesia del Carmen de Abajo: Chapel of the Third Order Carmelites, incorporated in the Friary of San Andrés. It is the only remnant of that friary, which disappeared in the 19th century.
" Iglesia de San Benito: Gothic church built under the patronage of Alonso II de Fonseca, pantheon of the Maldonado family.
" Iglesia de San Julián: Romanesque church subsequently restored.
" Iglesia de San Marcos: Romanesque church near the path which ran the North walls of the city. Outside circular plant has three naves and apses inside.
" Iglesia de San Martín: Romanesque church with Gothic reforms, Renaissance and Baroque, attached to the Plaza Mayor.
" Iglesia de San Pablo: Baroque church belonging to the former convent of the Trinitarians, houses the image of Jesus Rescued, much venerated in the city. Parish hosts, governed by the Diocesan Laborer Priests.
" Iglesia de Santo Tomás Cantuariense: Romanesque church founded in honor of St. Thomas, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1175, just five years after his death and two after his canonization. It has three apses and a nave with a wooden roof. Form Parish along with St. Paul, governed by the Diocesan Laborer Priests.
Colegio Mayor de Santiago el Zebedeo (old Irish College).
" University: Set of buildings that made up the former University of Salamanca, including the Escuelas Mayores, the Escuelas Menores and the Hospital de Estudio (current rectorate). These buildings are situated around the square known as Patio de Escuelas. In this same square is the home of Dr. Álvarez Abarca or of the Doctors of the Queen (15th century), whose façade is Gothic with Renaissance details and is now the Museum of Salamanca.
" Casa-museo de Unamuno (18th century): former home of the rectors of the university. It preserved as in its time it had Miguel de Unamuno when he took this position.
" Colegio Mayor de Santiago el Zebedeo, also called "of the Archbishop Fonseca" or "of the Irish" (16th century).
" Colegio de San Ambrosio (1719): Is currently General Archive of the Spanish Civil War. Houses documents and items seized by the national troops and their allies during and at the end of the Spanish Civil War. While over the entire postwar its basic objective was to preserve the information related to organizations and peoples potentially opposing the Franco regime, and therefore use this information for repressive, since the return of democracy this building would become one of the most important archives that existed in Spain to investigate the historical period of the Second Republic. Many of the documents and objects that still remain in the archive are related to the Freemasonry, including several furniture that has been rebuilt a Masonic Lodge.
" Colegio Trilingüe: founded in 1554 to the teaching of Latin, Greek and Hebrew. It also preserves part of the original courtyard, remade in 1829, in the Faculty of Physics.
" Palacio de Anaya was the last headquarters of the Colegio Mayor de San Bartolomé or Colegio de Anaya founded in the 15th century by Don Diego de Anaya, abolished in the early 19th century. Today is the faculty of philology. Next to the building is the Iglesia of San Sebastian, former chapel of the college and the Inn, work by Joaquín de Churriguera.
" Colegio Santa Cruz de Cañizares (16th century): Music Conservatory. Of it only remains the old chapel, now incorporated into the assembly hall of the conservatory, and the main façade, of plateresque style.
" Colegio de San Pelayo: founded in the mid-16th century. Since 1990 home to the Faculty of Geography and History.
Palaces and palatial houses
La Salina Palace
" Casa de las Conchas: built in the late 15th century. of Gothic civil style, its façade is decorated with about 350 shells of scallops, distinctive of the Order of Santiago. Also important are the bars Gothic windows. It currently houses a public library.
" Casa de Don Diego Maldonado: 16th-century Plateresque palace. It houses the Hispanic-Brazilian Cultural Foundation and the Centre for Brazilian Studies at the University of Salamanca.
" Casa de Doña María la Brava: 15th-century Gothic building, prototype of the noble mansions of the time. Its owner, María Rodríguez de Monroy was the head of one of the two sides in that split the city in the 15th century. Beheaded the murderers of her children. It is located in the Plaza de los Bandos.
" Casa Lis: Art Nouveau palace of 1905 with iron façade. Built on the walls. It houses the Collections of Art Nouveau and Art Deco donated by Manuel Ramos Andrade.
" Casa de las Muertes (early 16th century), built by Juan de Álava and named such for the skulls that decorate the façade.
" Casa del Regidor Ovalle (18th century): The Spanish writer Miguel de Unamuno died here.
" Casa de Santa Teresa (16th century): The saint Teresa of Ávila stayed here when she visited Salamanca in 1570 to found a convent and here she wrote the poem Vivo sin vivir en mí.
" Casa de la Tierra (15th century): doorway with arched, Gothic window tracery. Headquarters of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Salamanca.
" Casa de las Viejas (17th century): old workhouse for poor, now the headquarters of the Regional Film Archive of Castile and León. Permanent exhibition of equipment related to cinema and its history, owned by Salamancan filmmaker Basilio Martín Patino.
" Fonda Veracruz : courtyard with wooden galleries in form of dead-end street. Currently catering school.
" Arias Corvelle Palace (15th century): sgraffito façade very similar to that of San Boal. It houses the School of Fine and Performing Arts of San Eloy.
" Castellanos Palace (15th-16th centuries): The Palace of the Marquises of Castellanos construction began in the late 15th century, although the façade dates from the late 19th century which combines Gothic and Neoclassical styles. With a powerful Gothic interior courtyard, this building now serves as a hotel.
" Garci Grande Palace (16th century): Renaissance doorway and chamfered corner windows unique in the city. Head Office of the Savings Bank (Caja Duero).
" Monterrey Palace: was built in the 16th century and is of plateresque style. Belongs to the House of Alba and highlight its towers and chimneys. Only it built one of the four parts that composed all designed initially.
" Orellana Palace (16th century): building of classical architecture with Mannerist influence. The courtyard in L shape and the ladder.
" Rodríguez de Figueroa Palace (1545): has interesting façades at the streets Concejo and Zamora and interior courtyard. Today the Salamanca Casino.
" La Salina Palace (1546): Renaissance, work by Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón. Since 1884 is the headquarters of the Provincial Diputation.
" San Boal Palace (15th century): façade decorated with sgraffitos. Was School of Commerce and later Faculty of Business. Since 1999 is Hispanic-Japanese Cultural Center of the University of Salamanca. In the same square is the Iglesia de San Boal (17th century).
" Solís Palace (15th century): In this palace were married Philip II of Spain and Maria Manuela of Portugal in 1543. Today it houses the Telefónica.
" Tower del Aire: is all that remains of the Palace of the dukes of Fermoselle, built in the 15th century. It has beautiful Gothic windows. It is currently a student residence.
" Tower del Clavero (15th century): remains of a palace, apparently built by Francisco de Sotomayor, Clavero Staff of the Order of Alcántara, about 1470 . The lower part is quadrangular, while the upper is octagonal adorned with eight cylindrical turrets.
" Torreón de los Anaya (15th century): old manor house of Gothic civil style which highlights the mullioned window and the Patio de Tres Lados. For years it was the seat of Institute of Studies of Latin America and Portugal of the University of Salamanca, also known as Palacio de Abrantes.
Exterior of the Art Nouveau and Art Deco Museum. Casa Lis.
" Casa Lis Art Nouveau and Art Deco Museum. The museum displays collections of the work of Émile Gallé, Demetre Chiparus and other artists of the Art nouveau and Art Deco period, in addition to special exhibitions.
" Museum of the History of the City
" Museum of Trade of Salamanca
" Casa Museo Unamuno
" Museum of Automotive History of Salamanca
" Museum of Salamanca
" Cathedral Museum
" Museum of the Convento de San Esteban
" University Museum - University Library
" University Collections
" Bullfighting Museum
" Collections of the Convento de las Úrsulas
" Museum of the Convento de Santa Clara
" Teresian Museum
" Casa Museo de Zacarías González. House where Zacarías González lived and painted, on the street Alarcón.
" Permanent Exhibition IERONIMUS. The name of the exhibition: IERONIMUS alludes to Don Jerónimo de Périgueux, famed French-born Spanish bishop by the Diocese of Salamanca in 1102, who commissioned the construction of the Iglesia de Santa María. This was the event that marked the origin of the 900 Years of Art and History of the Cathedrals of Salamanca. In this tour one can admire amazing places like the one offered by the gazebo next to the Tower del Gallo, the Patio Chico or the Terraza de Anaya. The circuit of the exhibition begins in the Board of Warden, continuing on the Board of the Tower Mocha, the Platform of the Superior Room and the Board of Vault.
It is accessed from the last tower, next to the gate of Santa Lucía (giving access to the old cathedral). In three of the rooms one can find exposed drawings, documents and religious objects related to the cathedrals; especially with its construction, one can see, both inside and outside the two cathedrals. From the "Sala del Alcaide" enjoy a splendid view of the nave and the altar of the old cathedral, and from the upper platform located thereupon, one may accurately observe the Tower del Gallo, as well as views of the Tormes and Transtormes neighborhoods. One may also enjoy the vaults of the new cathedral, and again on the outside with views of the plaza Anaya, the Tower del Reloj, the Rua Mayor and all of the historical centre.
" Theatre Bretón. Now destroyed.
" Cave of Salamanca. Located on the Carvajal slope, where it is said that the devil taught black magic.
" Central Market (1899-1909). Located in the old Plaza de la Verdura. Made of iron.
" Roman bridge of Salamanca. Crossing the Tormes River, it is 150 m long and built on 26 arches, of which fifteen are Roman of the 1st century BC, while the remainder date from a 16th-century reconstruction after a flood.
Nearby are the Mudéjar Romanesque church of Santiago (modern reconstruction) and the stone bull quoted in Lazarillo de Tormes.
Plateresque façade of the University of Salamanca.
The University of Salamanca was
founded in 1134 and in 1218 it was given the royal charter of foundation ("Estudio
General") by Alfonso IX of León. It was the first university to
receive the title of "University" in 1254. Under the patronage of
the learned Alfonso X, its wealth and reputation greatly increased (1252-1282),
and its schools of canon law and civil law attracted students even from the
Universities of Paris and Bologna.[when?] In the 16th century, the city's
fortunes depended on those of the University. About the time Christopher Columbus
was lecturing there on his discoveries, Hernán Cortés took classes
at Salamanca, but returned home in 1501 at age 17, without completing his
course of study. (About ten years later the conquistador Francisco Vásquez
de Coronado was born in Salamanca.)
Old City of Salamanca
This ancient university town north-west of Madrid was first conquered by the Carthaginians in the 3rd century B.C. It then became a Roman settlement before being ruled by the Moors until the 11th century. The university, one of the oldest in Europe, reached its high point during Salamanca's golden age. The city's historic centre has important Romanesque, Gothic, Moorish, Renaissance and Baroque monuments. The Plaza Mayor, with its galleries and arcades, is particularly impressive.
Outstanding Universal Value. Brief synthesis
Salamanca is an ancient
university town situated in the west of Spain in the Autonomous Community
of Castilla and León. The Carthaginians first conquered the city in
the 3rd century B.C. It then became a Roman settlement before being ruled
by the Moors until the 11th century. The university, one of the oldest in
Europe, reached its high point during Salamanca's Golden Age. The city's historic
centre has important Romanesque, Gothic, Moorish, Renaissance, and Baroque
monuments. The Plaza Mayor, with its galleries and arcades, is particularly
Beginning with the Roman Bridge
that spans the River Tormes southwest of the city, numerous structures still
testify to the two thousand year-old history of antique Salmantica. The remarkable
examples include the Old Cathedral and San Marcos (12th century), the Salina
and the Monterrey Palaces (16th century), and above all the Plaza Mayor (1729-1755).
But the city owes its most essential features to the University. The remarkable
group of buildings in Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque styles, which, from
the 15th to 18th centuries, rose to the institution that proclaimed itself
"Mother of Virtues, Sciences, and the Arts" makes Salamanca an exceptional
example of an old university town in the Christian world, such as Oxford and
The Cathedral School of Salamanca
existed as far back as the late 12th century. The oldest university building
in Salamanca, now the Rectorate, is the old Hospital del Estudio, built in
1413, with the final element of the building programme begun in 1533.
Salamanca provides one of the oldest examples of university facilities conceived as such rather than as colleges. However, the city also boasted many colleges, which were generally charitable institutions with close ties to the University.
Most of these buildings are located
in the Old Quarter of the city. However, other monuments, located in the surroundings
of the protected core area, are also part of the property. All are magnificent
examples of religious architecture belonging to different styles: the Romanesque
churches of San Marcos, San Juan de Barbalos, and San Cristóbal, the
convents of Las Claras and Santa Teresa, the Gothic-Renaissance church of
Sancti Spiritus, and the Colegio de los Irlandeses.
Criterion (i): The Plaza Mayor
of Salamanca, built as a result of a solemn decision by King Philip V in 1710,
is a unique artistic achievement in Baroque art, and considered by many the
heart of the Golden City (La Dorada). Begun in 1729 according to plans drawn
by Alberto de Churriguera, and finished in 1755 by Andrés García
de Quiñones, and with contributions from Nicolás de Churriguera
and José de Lara de Churriguera, it is one of the most important urban
ensembles of 18th century Europe.
Criterion (ii): With the Plaza
Mayor, the Clerecía (the Jesuit seminary), the college of Calatrava,
the Colegio San Ambrosio, the churches of San Sebastián and Santa Cruz
de Cañizares, the New Cathedral, and San Esteban, Salamanca is one
of the essential art centres of the Churriguera family dynasty of architects,
decorators and sculptors of Catalonia. The "churrigueresque" style
exerted considerable influence in the 18th century not only in the Iberian
Peninsula, but also in Latin America.
Criterion (iv): Although founded later than those of Bologna, Paris, and Oxford, the University of Salamanca had already established itself as one of the best academic institutions in Europe by 1250. It conserves an admirable architectural heritage that illustrates the diverse functions of a university institution in the Christian world. The Hospital del Estudio, the Escuelas Mayores, the Escuelas Menores, and the various colleges, which multiplied between the 15th and 18th centuries, form a group of exceptional coherence within a historic city also remarkable for its numerous civil and religious monuments.
Salamanca is a serial property consisting of the Old Quarter of the City and seven outlying component parts: Colegio de los Irlandeses, Iglesia de San Marcos, Iglesia de Sancti Spiritus, Convento de Las Claras, Casa-Convento de Santa Teresa, Iglesia de San Juan de Barbalos and Iglesia de San Cristóbal.
The inscribed property covers an
area of 51 ha, with a 130 ha buffer zone and contains all the necessary attributes
to express the property's Outstanding Universal Value. These key features
include all the monuments related to the University and also highly important
examples of Baroque art in Spain, particularly the Plaza Mayor. The key attributes
illustrate the history of Salamanca and bear witness to its primary function
as a university town.
Their recognition as classified monuments has helped to preserve them properly and to retain material integrity, as any intervention is required to safeguard their characteristics. However, regulatory measures and provisions in planning tools will need to be strictly enforced to ensure that potential threats derived from new construction and developments are effectively addressed.
The Old City of Salamanca has retained
key attributes of authenticity in terms of form, design, materials, and substance.
Location and setting characteristics have also been maintained, as well as
the use and function within the modern city.
As a place in continuous evolution, the Old City has also been affected by modifications such as urban infrastructure, and building renovation. Yet, these changes have been under strict administrative controls, both from the municipality and the regional government, in order to not adversely affect the Outstanding Universal Value of the property. Nevertheless, continuous attention must be placed on the property in order to ensure that future interventions do not compromise these key attributes.
Protection and management requirements
The city of Salamanca was registered as "Historic Site" in 1951, the highest legal protection at the national level. The same legal regime, Property of Cultural Interest (BIC, Bien de Interés Cultural), is applied to most of the property's component parts.
According to the existing laws of Cultural Heritage (Law 12/2002, 11 July, of Cultural Heritage of Castilla y León, Decree 37/2007, 19 April, that approves the Rules for the Protection of Cultural Heritage in Castilla y León and Law 16/1985, 25 June, of Spanish Historic Heritage), any intervention requires authorization from the Commission for Cultural Heritage of Salamanca, a body of the regional government.
Urban planning is under the responsibility of the City of Salamanca and its General Plan sets the general regulations for the entire municipality, including the historic area.
As a result of the collaboration agreement between the Council of Culture and Tourism of the Junta de Castilla y León and the City Council, a Management Plan for the property, as well as a new Urban Plan for the historic city, will be formulated and implemented. Both planning tools will function as a roadmap to set all principles and regulations that public administrations must take on account, in order to adapt their policies to the conservation of the Outstanding Universal Value of the property, which must prevail over other considerations. All the existing and future sectorial plans concerning tourism, accessibility, urban planning, economic and social plans, etc. will be included in this Management Plan. To ensure that the conditions of authenticity and integrity continue to be met, it will be important to consider that all proposed new interventions for rehabilitation of development be subject to Heritage and Environmental Impact Assessments. These assessments will be crucial to ensure the protection of key attributes and their setting in the historic townscape.